The remains of a man found in Nepal have been confirmed as missing backpacker Matthew Allpress.
His mother, Margaret, who lives in Luton, flew to Kathmandu to join a search effort when he failed to reappear in November.
The 23-year-old had been on a trekking holiday.
Tests on skeletal remains found on 10 May by two Nepalese foraging in a mountainous area have been confirmed as Mr Allpress, a family spokesman said.
Experts used medical and dental records to confirm his identity, the spokesman added.
The examination was performed by doctors at a hospital in Kathmandu after a request by police.
The spokesman said: "Margaret, Matthew's mum, attended the hospital on Thursday to view the remains and to meet with the examining doctors who had carried out the autopsy.
"The police have advised us that a new team of approximately 15 officers are being immediately deployed back to the area where the remains were found to search for, and hopefully retrieve, the remaining missing effects that belong to Matthew.
"This process will take some time but as normal we will keep everyone updated as news comes to hand."
Ms Allpress met up with her son's Australian father, Mark, after flying to Nepal.
The spokesman added: "Mark and Margaret thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers."
Himalayan remains are missing son
Put the internet to work for you.

0 comments:
Post a Comment